Tuesday, June 24, 2008

What's your fashion skeleton?

During lunch with some new friends, I inadvertently disclosed two fashion skeletons buried in my closet: A big fat wool cardigan with wooden buttons and a pair of Dr. Martens.


I can't remember the last time I wore those shoes or that giant, unflattering gray sweater with magenta and white around the collar. But I can't stomach the thought of tossing them.

That sweater was the pride of my I-wish-I-followed-the-Dead phase. I rocked it with jeans, with skirts, as a jacket ... And those shoes! Sigh. They are just cool.

The friends threatened to out me, or stage a closet intervention. No way. It's just one sweater and one pair of shoes! It's not like I've saved every bit of my fashion past.

Now that I think about it, I think I still have my rhinestone-crusted airplane earrings from middle school. They'd probably qualify as vintage by now, right?

What fashion skeletons are buried in your closet?

3 comments:

  1. This is just delusional, but I have a pair jeans that is way too small that I've hung on for YEARS. I'm never going to be small enough to get back into them. Every now and then, I wash them, just so they don't fall out of the set of clothes I wear. Yeah, I know that's crazy! It has been long enough, that I do think they might be out of fashion, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no skeletons in my closet because fashion is what I make it not what it makes me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Come on, Dr Martens are the coolest shoes out there! Esp if they're boots!

    ReplyDelete