Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Fash Week recap, Round 1

While I escaped New York on Saturday, just a day after the Fashion Week madness ended, others in the industry kept working well after the last show.

Capitol buyer Ruth Caldwell (right) was still working hard in NYC when I called her on Monday. She was at Zac Posen's studio, on her way to another appointment, but shared her thoughts via e-mail.

My fashion week wrap up will be in Thursday's Charlotte Observer, or you can read it online.

Here's an excerpt of Ruth's Q&A:

Q: What was the highlight of the week for you?
RC:
The highlight of my week was returning to Bar Pitti, my favorite restaurant in my old neighborhood. Cool, fresh mozzarella with warm roasted peppers to start. Linguine with baby clams. A decaf espresso. Heavenly!

Q: What was your favorite show?
RC: I really enjoy seeing great presentations from smaller designers just beginning their careers. For example, Alexander Wang was just genious and was as thoughtful and inspiring as almost any more established designer show I saw.

Q: What runway trends do you see playing well in Charlotte?
RC: The return of the jacket to the wardrobe is one of the strongest trends of the season, particularly following several seasons of seeing mostly dresses. The NY designers seem to be all about mixing -- plaid with floral prints, satin with tweed, lace with nubby boucle, a cocktail dress with an oversized slouchy cardigan. I think it will be refreshing for Charlotte to mix things up a little!

Q: What was your most memorable moment during fashion week?
RC: I saw my hero, French Vogue editor Carine Roitfeld, emerge from a doorway in my hotel wearing a wild fox fur coat and a dark, witchy hooded cape underneath. She is so wicked and I ADORE her!

0 comments: