Tuesday, July 29, 2008

A bad 1980s faux flashback

I don't see many TV commercials (thanks TiVo), but I did happened to see the JC Penney spot that is a modern spin on some of the best scenes from "The Breakfast Club."



Oh.No.They.Didn't.

It's so wrong on so many levels. The song is a weak cover of Simple Minds' "Don't You (Forget About Me)." The clothing? Please. Not even close.

Molly Ringwald was a huge fashion crush for me. I can't tell you how much time I spent trying to find the pink dress she wore to the dance in "Sixteen Candles" or the boots she wore in "The Breakfast Club."

I'm not the only child of the '80s put off by the sacrilege in the church of Hughes (John, that is). A couple days after I saw it, my friend Amber emailed the video to me and only said in the subject line "Have you seen this?"

I can't figure out which is more frightening -- that I'm fired up over a cheesy homage to a beloved movie from my youth or that there's a good chance that many of the targeted audience for the commercial aren't familiar with the original.

4 comments:

  1. I just watched this movie again for the 100th time this past weekend. Agree with everything you said.. it was a poor rendition of the original and the clothes were lame.
    Do they think they'll trigger some nostalagia with us and we'll take our kids to JCP? Say it isn't so..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't mess with The Breakfast Club! I graduated HS in 1984. This movie was and still is one of my favorite movies. I don't shop at JCPenney anyway because I heard their target shopper was a "mom in her 30s or 40s" and I'm happily married but not a mom, so they don't speak to me with their clothes or their marketing. They can kiss off and stop trying to rip off movies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You folks all need to get a LIFE...it's a darn movie for pete's sake.....and it's a commercial ...so what?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it is a genius idea on their marketing part. The teenagers when that movie came out are now parents, therefore buying stuff for their kids. I give them props!

    ReplyDelete